Information for Hosts
Are you an alum and/or parent who is interested in becoming a job shadow host for an aspiring Dickinson student? Get involved today! There are dozens of eager Dickinson students just waiting to meet you and talk about what you love to do every day.
A Dickinson job shadow consists of a short-term shadowing experience with a host. Job shadow hosts are Dickinson alumni, parents, or friends of the college who are willing to virtually engage with students to observe and gain a better understanding of both what they do on a daily basis, and the culture in which they work. Job shadowing provides interested students with unpaid, non-credit, short-term virtual shadowing experiences in a wide variety of careers and industries throughout the country.
A student in the job shadow program may:
• Explore career paths within an organization
• Have informational interviews with employees
• Observe virtual interactions between customers and clients
• Meet with decision makers
• Take virtual tours of facilities (if possible) and attend staff meetings
• Assist with projects and tasks
HOW DO I SIGN UP TO BE A HOST?
Signing up as a job shadow host takes just 3 easy steps:
1. Create a Dickinson AlumniFire profile with us, if you don’t already have one.
2. Once you’re in your profile, indicate in the Profile Settings section that you would like to offer your services as a virtual job shadow host. You can do so by ticking the box marked “job shadowing.”
3. Wait for a student to reach out! Students will be contacting hosts via AlumniFire about potential opportunities. You may set a limit as high or low as you like for how many messages you are willing to receive on a monthly basis.
Once a student has connected with you, if you feel they would be a good fit to shadow with you, then you are free to move forward with them however you would like to design your shadow experience! You can use this sample schedule as a guideline, or work to create your own.
WHAT ARE MY RESPONSIBILITIES AS A JOB SHADOW HOST?
If a student reaches out, the job shadow host will create and host the student(s) in a short virtual experience during which the host will provide the student(s) with:
1. An itinerary for the experience;
2. An overview of your industry and company; and
3. A glimpse into the world of work via a virtual shadowing experience
Additionally, after finishing a job shadow, hosts should fill out this response form to tell us all about how your experience went. Students will fill out a similar form.
WHY SHOULD I CONSIDER HOSTING A STUDENT?
Hosting a student can help you and your organization:
• Identify candidates early in the recruiting process for internship opportunities
• Gain exposure for your industry, organization, and career
• Give back to Dickinson College with your time and experience
• Reconnect with Dickinson and learn about the current student culture, programs, and experience
For any additional information regarding the virtual Job Shadow experience, please contact Alex Bygrave, Post-Baccalaureate Associate at email@example.com or (717) 516-1497.